If you have crooked, gapped or crowded teeth, there’s a really good chance you’ve been thinking about having braces to correct those issues. After all having a more attractive smile can do wonders for your self-confidence, and some research shows it can even have a big impact on how others perceive you as well. Yes, improving your smile’s appearance is one of the big benefits of having your teeth straightened. But did you know it can improve your overall oral health as well?
It’s true – according to the American Dental Association, bite alignment problems can cause a whole host of serious oral health issues, including:
- gum disease
- uneven tooth wear
- tooth loss
- bruxism or tooth grinding
- jaw problems like temporomandibular joint disorder (TMJ), which in turn can lead to chronic jaw pain, headaches and tooth loss
Let’s face it: Crooked teeth are much harder to care for, and they create all sorts of nooks and crannies where decay- and disease-causing bacteria can hide.
Invisalign® vs. Traditional Braces
Understanding the significant health benefits of straighter teeth is important for sure. Still, despite those obvious advantages, a lot of people are reluctant to move forward with orthodontic care, simply because they don’t want the hassles of traditional metal or ceramic braces. And that’s where Invisalign comes in.
Invisalign uses clear plastic aligners to move teeth into position, and that innovative design results in a world of improvements over the traditional bracket-and-wire design of traditional braces. For instance:
- The clear aligners are pretty much invisible while they’re in place, so you don’t have to feel self-conscious about your appearance.
- The aligners can be removed, which means it’s lots easier to brush and floss, plus you can eat whatever foods you like – there are no restrictions like there are with traditional braces.
- Invisalign requires fewer office visits and there are no painful tightenings and adjustments to put up with.
- The custom design of the aligners means treatment typically can be completed in less time – often in 18 months or less.
- The aligners are completely smooth, so they won’t irritate soft tissue like the insides of your cheeks or your lips.
- The aligners are really easy to care for – just brush, rinse and you’re done.
Is Invisalign Right for Me?
Invisalign can be a great solution for most people with the following alignment issues:
- Crowded teeth – teeth that are “packed” too closely together, resulting in sideways or crooked teeth
- Overbites – the upper teeth extend well beyond the lower teeth
- Underbites – the lower teeth fall behind the upper teeth when the mouth is closed
- Crossbites – a “combination” of an underbite and overbite
- Open bites – some or all teeth fail to meet when the mouth is closed
- Gaps between teeth – spaces left from missing teeth or from abnormal tooth or jaw development
The best way to learn if Invisalign is right for you is to schedule an evaluation with an Empire dentist.
Where Can I Find Invisalign Near Me?
As a leading Old Bridge dentist, Empire Dental Group is recognized as a trusted provider of Invisalign in NJ, providing state-of-the-art, customized treatment for teens and adults who want to enjoy more beautiful smiles and better oral health. If you’re ready to tap into the benefits of straighter teeth, we’re ready to help. Call Empire Dental Group at 732-607-0909 and schedule an appointment today.
Photo credit: Copyright: svanhorn / 123RF Stock Photo